Sunday, December 6, 2009

THE BEAST

1

None of the events that make this story would’ve occurred if a loathed rascal lazily rested home instead of his regular night ‘patrol’ in the street. I am not exactly sure if he had a heart, but he stopped on hearing me weeping. I was then a pink mass, fresh with a bleeding umbilical cord. I don’t know if my mother had seen my face before she breathed the last puff of blood-tinged air. Well I was born...in a dark corner of the street and a thief found me. If I hadn’t distracted him, a Clerk who lived in the next street would’ve filled the newspapers the next day. My ‘DAD’ had planned to rob a Clerk that night. But on his way, he found me.


Unaware (and least bothered) of the purity of blood that gushed through my vessels, I grew up. Perhaps saving my life was the only good thing that my ‘DAD’ ever did. His deeds were rewarded well.


The day that marked my 18th birthday began with a commotion at one corner of the street. It occurred around a blood drenched lifeless body. I ran. No one was chasing me but I was running...unaware of what I was running from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2

His soul might wander for years recklessly, for the kind of death he had was not the one he wished for. He’ll be one of the very few mortals who lived all forty-five years exactly the way they wished. He was invincible. He was never deprived of anything...he would get whatever he wanted, by any means. Never did he bother about the pain he caused when he snatched his wishes from people - wealth or dignity.


He brought me up the way he wished. He used to say, “You won’t live on Earth for more than a life time, the life you now live is a one-time affair; there is no rebirth”. He repeatedly recited that he lived on principles. I would listen to him innocently biting the fresh loaves he brought, ignorant of what his mumbles meant. I was always a mature listener in his eyes. As a five-year old, I understood nothing...but with years, I began to grasp what he said.



The man was ignorant. “Slam the doors at beggars and Education. Neither is of any utility”, he said. Man is a beast in chains. Once the shackles are broken, he is more dangerous and wicked than a hungry hyena. “They say that education opens the gate to growth. An ignorant man errs barbarically while an educated one executes the same errors in a more civilised yet crooked fashion”, I don’t know how this man, my ‘DAD’, could speak so convincingly...but this one made sense. .There are just three entities that define the purpose of life-food, wealth, and sex.


He never forced me to take his path. Instead, he jeered at and cursed my creators. We were never bound to each other by any strong forces. He gave me what one needed to live. I stayed with him. If I were a burden he would have disposed me, but that never happened. Perhaps all that he wanted was something with life in it to listen to him.



The monotony of life began to disturb my sleep. Once I said this to him, he said, “Monotony, boredom...yeah that’s because you never get a chance to wait for something, I bring them to you before you start craving”, he then glanced at his watch, “wait! you said monotony right? Now I get it, you are growing up man; see past 17...I used to have similar problems at this age. But, hey, you know what I was physically stronger than you are now. And the pretty lady who appeared in my path one night was too weak to run away from my grasp”


“Lord...you have been a rapist too?” never before had I questioned him.


“Just once...once...I didn’t know about brothels then...neither did I have the money; No remorse; she was 15 and not a virgin” he calmly replied.


‘But you never knew that when you chased her’ I didn’t have the courage to shout that at him. Strange! The man always has a reason for everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3

Spring never lasts, neither does a storm. For the first time in my life I saw fear in his eyes. I couldn’t think of a reason. But something was definitely wrong. As he was about to leave I asked the one question that always puzzled me, “Why did you stop for me that night?”


He slowed his steps. “I was not in a hurry that night, and had minutes to spare when I heard your cry. It was bloody all around. I stared at the pale lifeless body near you. I stared at her face; was struck by a thunderbolt...the face was familiar...I had seen that same paleness in her face before,  when she struggled to escape from me. Don’t women age?”


I felt paralyzed, couldn’t speak a word. It was already dark.


“Ciao...kid”, did he smile when he said that?


I stayed on bed for another hour, and then rose. I knew what to do or was it an impulse? I don’t know. I began to walk; I knew the path he might’ve taken that night...I rushed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4

I can’t run anymore. Where have I reached? All I know is this; no one will ever question me for what I’ve done.

But for the time being, let me hide in the dark...alone, with not even my shadow to disturb.


39 comments:

JustMe said...

well narrated... :)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@me

:) thnx

nikhil said...

Superb one dude...
U r growin...:) feelin jelous:P

nikhil said...

Superb one dude...
U r growin...:) feelin jelous:P

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@nikhil

:) :) jealous ha..dishum dishum

nonstopthinker said...

good one. nice to read. bit scary though :)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@nonstopthinker :) scary :) booo

V. Archana said...

:-o :-o what a brain u have....... and finally where did u land up?

very interesting write :)

Abilash J Ram said...

kidu..!! :)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@vsa

wer i land up? ROOF !! (de vsa style)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@abilash

:) sadharana nee randu thattu kittathe ente blog vayikkunnavanalla.!! he he nice boy !!!

Destiny's child... said...

Wow! Me likes it! :)
Leaving a lot unsaid, you actually said more than what words could say...I hope you get what I am saying...yeah? ;)

Wonderful! A bright future awaits you in fiction writing...keep up the good work! :)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@destiny

;) CHEERS !!! :) :) ouch!!! y aint de roof higher ??

Unknown said...

"No one was chasing me...but I was running...unaware of what I was running away from."
well said...
U R ONE HELL OF A WRITER DUDE:)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@ammu

n uve made my day :)

Athu said...

shadow ethu situationilum koode nilkuvalle chayunnathu disturb chayumo?? absence of light start chaithapol shadow polum koode ninnilla agane alle? :p just say ,nice thought :)

Priya Joyce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priya Joyce said...

that was extremely gud..
wat a connection..it felt like he came to where he started from..
the saying "life comes in a circle "
came true..

loved this one too..
:):)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@athu
yep :)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@priya

thnx pJ :)

Hemanth Potluri said...

nicely written :)...

urs..hemu..

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@hemanth

thnx da :)

Unknown said...

Man always has a reason for everything!!loved the line... But i'd rather say, Man always has an Excuse for everything he does.

I liked most quotes and scentences...but the whole matter needs to gain a better flow. Splendind piece of writing nevertheless...

Keep blogging

Div

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@diva

i just luvd de review :) wowwwww...hugz

SMRITI said...

Kochu, You better get off that Twitter thingy (reading good for nothing Chetan Bhagat's tweets) and consider serious writing.

Good stuff man. Liked how it all shaped together. (Ok, drunk people singing in the background disturbing my thought process...where was I?)

Really liked it. Time to get yourself a domain, eh? [Think you should!!] :)

Hugz

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@smriti

yer reviews always leave me smilin n thinkin...hmmm...n this time de thoughts r serious :)

shilpadev said...

patients arum vannillelm fictions ezhutiyenkilm jeevicholm!

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@CHINNU

oho he he...!!!

Pooja said...

Wow!!
u have matured so much as writer... U had me hooked on this piece.. Hat's off,dude!

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@pooja
n now i'm on top of de world :) someone get me down !

ARJUN MS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ARJUN MS said...

Excellent ........

I enjoyed reading every bit of it.
I have a question, where did you get the inspiration for the theme?

Once again great job Dr.

ARJUN MS
INDIA

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@arjun ms

:) :) inpiration?? hmm...im still thinkin..! sharikum marannu poyida :)

Unknown said...

Took a deep breath after going through the post..Still under the horror of what I read..Very well written, and touching too..Should have visited this place a long back..Glad that i discovered your blog..

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@netha

;) 'ellathinum athintethaya samayamundu daasa' ennalle chollu..

thnx a tonne n keep supporting ;)

ariyathe said...

It was interesting. I liked the concept. Poignant, touching.. especially loved the "reason for everything" part && just how it all came in circles. =)

As a critique, I would suggest reducing the number of ellipses used; too much makes it seem much more informal than something like this needs to be. =)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@ariyathe

'Ellipse' used to be my weakness!!! Was badly thrashed and spanked for the '...' Gah ippo nan balya kuttyayi ;)

Aparna said...

Nice thought :) Well narrated 1/2 Doc :)You're a DARK person, I can smell that essence of betrayal and that of a Cruel Cheat in your narration! Must say I heart It :) Eu tu Brute ;)

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

@aparna

ha ha ;) paavam njan *kunjadu*